Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas!

Wow...cleaning really helps you connect with the past, right?   I was cleaning out a lot of stuff this week and found my journal from my fiction writing class in college and my duffel bag full of random writing from high school and beyond! 

Every time I start to seriously pick up and clean out a space, I inevitably end up sitting on the couch, the bed, the floor, etc...and reading through some old stuff I don't even remember writing way back when.  The exciting part about this is that I usually think this stuff is AWESOME! And, how could I ever even attempt to write anything that cool and maybe someone else wrote this stuff, because it certainly couldn't have been me.  Of course, then I go through the check list in my mind like: Was I perhaps drunk or otherwise intoxicated when I wrote this piece?  Was I in a really ecstatic or depressed state?  Where was I living at the time? etc, etc.

This has been a phenomenon since I was in middle school, at least.  I remember getting into some late night  frenzy of cleaning out my room and then getting stuck until 4am (or worse) sitting on my green carpet (I had forest green carpet and cloud wallpaper with a wooden lattice work up my walls) reading through memories and tidbits I had squirreled away for my future self.

I think it is sweet that I was always thinking of my future self.  I divided my thinking into future self and present self.  If present self was not happy with what was going on, I would blame my future self.  It only makes sense.  The only one to blame is future self, really.  If my tea is cold and my cookies taste like glue, I blame future self for never putting the water to boil again or mixing the ingredients the correct way.  At times, I realize that I AM future self, making sure my present self will be content in my surroundings.  I set things up so that present self is comfy and happy and set in all things creature-comfort.  I will make sure the remote is handy, the scotch is accessible, the movie is queued up, the cats are taken care of and then I can relax..."Thanks future self!" I will say, once I am seated and sipping and satiated.....or maybe it's past self by then?  Who can tell...Anyway, is time really all that linear, etc?

Back to the point! I found my journal, though mildewed and nasty and yellowed and all...I shall post some of the things I wrote in there (I don't remember writing them, it must have been the writing gremlin/muse/thing) and see how they fly. 

I wonder if I still have this story I remember writing about blond people and how they are indicative of some genetic disease...hm...I liked that one.  Good Times!

Indeed!

In any case, Merry Christmas, ya'll!

2 comments:

  1. I like finding what you wrote/drew/carved when we go through all of our stuff. I'm really excited that you found all this stuff from my high school and college years. I think I would have thrown it all out awhile ago, but now I'm at a point where I really like seeing all of the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @meghaan I enjoy forcing you to trip down memory lane with me too...excellent! an audience, bru ha ha!

    ReplyDelete