Wednesday, December 8, 2010

So that you know

I have a glaring of cats, or a clutter, or a pride? Definitely a glaring though.  If they were still babies, they would be a kindle, an intrigue or (boring!) a litter.  I would have to say they were more of an intrigue than a litter.  When they were fatter (we have trimmed them down to a less embarrassing girth), I would have thought of them as a "puddle" of cats.

Animal group names are very important.  You can't just go around calling animals all packs or prides or pods and such.  That just wouldn't be right.  Somebody, somewhere came up with names for these groups and we should use them! Also, they make for great party conversation, though you might out yourself as the biggest cat-owning geek there and either, thereby, make a ton of friends or lose a ton...depending on what kind of people you had as friends to begin with.

I was looking up what a group of women (female humans) would be called but found nothing, um...positive.  I am thinking of going with a few I found for different animal groups: a shrewdness (as with apes), a battery (of barracudas), a convocation (of eagles), a charm (of finches), a romp (of otters), a harem (of seals), a murmuration (of starlings), a wisdom (of wombats).  I tried to avoid the more obvious bird-related choices...like, brood or bevy or nest or what have you.  But also...a wisdom of wombats?  Really?  This group term should be for critters far more deserving than wombats.

M and I were just on a trip with others where these animal group names came up as we were all settling down for the night.  It was decided that a series of murder mystery novels should be written in accordance with animal group names.  A Glaring of Cats (dun dun DUN!), The Murder of Crows (who dunnit?!), The Business of Ferrets (Inspector Poirot, with a furry, spazzy twist).

I shall include myself in my group of cats.  Prepare to be glared upon!

2 comments:

  1. My favorite is the murmuration of starlings. Can you imagine the pitch meeting for that title?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @EGB I feel like you'd probably have to explain what a murmuration was at the get go. Also...maybe a good spin would be like, "people LOVE animals...groups of animals are more than one! and crime! crime! maybe Mur-deeeeeerrrrrr! and Ferrets! and cats! and Starlings! right? right?! Right?!!!"

    ReplyDelete